Sunday, January 9, 2011

Nate's New Years Resolutions

Originally this family blog was intended to be used as a way to keep in touch with family and friends. Facebook has pretty much taken over that function and so I'm going to start using this blog more as a personal/family history. For those of you who check in semi-regularly I appreciate it and you're welcome to continue doing so as I do always appreciate comments. I'm starting out the year with a brief review of last years goals and making a new resolution to achieve more this year. I've spent some time developing a brief list of goals, timing for each, an action plan for accomplishing each, and a success metric for each. Last year I had many of the same goals (as I frequently do) and as always I did better on some than on others.

1. Put God first
1.1. Attend the temple 12 times. If we don’t have other plans we’ll go on the 3rd Friday of each month.
1.2. Study the scriptures for at least 30 minutes daily. On the days I go to the Y I’ll read after, if not, then I’ll get up at 6 a.m. to study.
1.3. Take time to pray earnestly both morning and evening. Before scripture study and bed.
2. Family second
2.2. Take Cindy on a weekly date. Saturdays if we haven’t done something meaningful before that.
2.3. Have FHE weekly. Cindy and I will rotate being in charge of the lessons.
2.4. Get back to the family blogs and encourage siblings on both sides to post regularly. Get blogs bound as Christmas gifts for parents and in-laws.
2.5. Dishes & laundry. On Saturdays if I haven’t done them prior.
3. Others Third
3.1. Invite 5 people to read the Book of Mormon, come church & hear the discussions. I’ve done a decent job in the past but I’d like to have a more inspired approach and then I’d like to include the experiences in my journal which I haven’t been real good at doing lately.
3.2. Read the entire Book of Mormon & keep up with Sunday school / Priesthood lessons. Start the week (M/T ) studying the priesthood manual in preparation for my lesson, then (W/Th) study the Sunday school lesson, and finally (F/S/S) read from the Book of Mormon).
4. Self Fourth
4.1. Have a career plan
4.1.1. Start by making a decision about going to Chicago or searching for a new job.
4.1.1.1. Spend time each week looking for a new job that would get us closer to family and be something that will be fulfilling for me to pursue in the future.
4.1.2. Start a business on the side. Spend a few hours each week working on side jobs and pondering potential self employment opportunities. I love working with people and need to have a career where I feel I can have a positive influence on others. I’d like to be meeting more people and not spend as much time in the office. I need to feel that my efforts make a difference both in the company and for others.
4.2. Get out of debt and keep to a budget. Always done a pretty good job living within our means but this year if we move we’ll not be buying another house until we can pay for it. Also, need to get in the habit of stretching ourselves to save more than what is comfortable.
4.3. Write in my journal at least once a week. Sunday during nap time.
4.4. Exercise regularly (4x per week)
4.4.1. Get down to 200 lbs (need to lose 2lbs per month)
4.4.2. Run a marathon in the fall
4.5. Finish typing missionary journal and begin inserting pictures into my life history.
4.6. Start the outline of a book.

My intent is to get in the habit of doing the most important daily/weekly things again so that next year my goals can be a little more stretching. I do however realize that I need to revive some very important habits first :)

1 comment:

Dad & Mom said...

Bravo, Nate. You put me to shame. My resolutions and goals seem very small compared to yours, but I'll try, too. Thanks for inspiring me to reach deeper and try harder. Love you all-Mom